Written by: Daniel MacKay (Explore Down Under)
We all love a good meal, and, for us while camping, this is no exception. When we first started camping, we started out as cooking to survive, simple and basic meals. It worked, but as we camped more often, we wanted to make the most out of the experience. After getting inspiration from a few different people, we looked at what new, and still relatively easy, dishes we could make.
We first cooked this recipe while on a water-skiing weekend trip along the Hawkesbury River. It was straightforward to cook, with prep time being short, and the ingredients were easy to bring along while camping, with most of them not needing to be chilled.
This cooked breakfast dish is always our go to when we know we will be needing energy for a day full of activities. It’s also a great way to warm yourself up on a chilly morning (along with a hot cup of your choice), plus, it tastes delicious!
2 chorizo sausages
1 tin crushed or diced tomatoes
1 small tin of mixed beans
1 tbsp fennel seeds
1 tbsp sugar
½ tsp chilli flakes (optional)
3-4 eggs (or more depending on pot size and number of people)
Bread to serve
1. Dice chorizo into small pieces and fry until brown on medium heat.
2. Add the fennel seeds and chilli flakes and fry until fragrant
3. Drain and rinse the mixed beans and add them to the chorizo. Continue to cook for 2 mins.
4. Add the tin of tomatoes and sugar allow to reduce a little.
5. Create small wells and crack eggs into each well.
6. Reduce heat and cover pan with a lid.
7. Leave eggs for 5-10 minutes (check periodically- times may vary)
8. Serve with toasted bread.
Comments will be approved before showing up.